Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Do front porches make for friendlier neighbors?

I was reporting a column in Plaza Midwood last week and a resident there had an opinion on why she feels it is a close-knit neighborhood. "Everyone has a front porch. That is key," Kristin said. "It's a ready-made social life."

I don't have a front porch, but I can see the appeal. I'd love to sit on my front porch and read the paper, sip wine or coffee (depending on the time of day) and watch my kid play in the yard. But the houses in my South Charlotte 'hood don't have front porches. Still, it's a friendly neighborhood. We've gotten to know our neighbors through yard work, kids and dogs. But would we be tighter with front porches? I wonder.

What do you think? What are your front porch experiences?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't buy a house without a front porch. If I did I would build one. It is a noticible difference when you can actually see your neighbors instead of everyone hiding in their air-conditioned caves.

I realize not everyone wants to know and interact with their neighbors and thats fine. Don't turn this into a stupid argument.


p.s. www.dontgobacktoohio.com

Anonymous said...

www.gobacktoohio.com ;)

Amy Baldwin said...

Huck,

Love your comment and esp appreciate the PS. Thanks for reading.

Amy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I have a small screened front porch and I absolutely love it. I enjoy watching the neighbors walk their dogs, their children, or just themselves. Plus, it's easy to keep a watch on any suspicious activity in the neigbhorhood. In recent years, at least 5 houses have added new front porches, either open or screened in.

Summer said...

My neighborhood is very porch driven. Which is fantastic, because it means I've met some awesome people.