Monday, November 3, 2008

Your favorite coffee shop?

I'm writing this post from Summit Coffee in Davidson. I'd heard that the the entire town passes through here every morning, and based on the never-ending line since I got here, that seems about right.

If I lived here this would be my favorite coffeehouse. The coffee is dark and strong but not bitter. There's this college vibe that makes me miss the student-run campus coffee shop at Ohio University.

So what's my favorite coffee place in Charlotte?

If I'm lingering or meeting up with someone I'd say the Starbucks on East Boulevard. But parking is such a hassle there that I have a feeling that the Caribou down the road is about to take its place.

If I'm running through a drive-thru it's going to be the Dunkin Donuts on South Boulevard near my house. It's a treat on the way to daycare for my toddler daughter and me -- coffee for me and a blueberry Munchkin for her.

Another place I like but don't get to that often is Julia's Coffee, attached to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore store on Wendover Road. There are stacks of used books to peruse and sometimes live music to enjoy with your cup of joe.

So what's your preferred coffee spot?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rocky River Coffee in Harrisburg is my favorite place. The coffee is great, they have a "like it" guarantee and you can hang out for hours just chatting with other locals from the area if you are so inclined.

DS

Anonymous said...

The original Dilworth Coffee in Kenilworth Commons on East Blvd.

http://www.dilworthcoffee.com/

Anonymous said...

S.C. in NoDa is a tasty coffee joint

Anonymous said...

Good lord almighty! Could you get through a sinlge blog post without mentioning New York or Ohio?

Amy Baldwin said...

To anon at 2:01: I can point you to plenty such posts but you'd probably still find something wrong.
Amy

Anonymous said...

Besides my regular Starbucks haunts (please, please don't close the one on Wilkinson!), there are a few independent coffee shops around town that I love. Julia's Coffee is good, and great about hosting groups in their loft area upstairs. Nova's on Central is my favorite though. Their coffee is great, but their spinach scones are even better!

Anonymous said...

Amy is saying something positive about the Davidson coffee house--she says it "has a college vibe"---and since she went to college in Ohio it makes sense that she compares it favorably to the place she went to college. So what's the problem anonymous 2:01. We all come from somewhere? If you went to a place that reminded you of your college hangout, would you not make the comparison? R

Anonymous said...

www.gobacktoohio.com

James said...

A hidden gem is BacinTyme Coffee in Fort Mill, SC. Truly something special and worth an out of the way drive to sit and enjoy this coffee house.

Anonymous said...

I work at Cotswold and therefore frequent the Starbucks there but I'm like you, a little partial to the coffeeshop where I went to college, in Raleigh, the Cup-A-Joe on Hillsborough St. There aren't any coffeeshops in town with that same atmosphere and I miss it. Closest thing is Julia's. Been sitting at home though more often just with the good ol' coffeemaker.

Anonymous said...

We live in Huntersville and our favorite is Summit, but when we are in Mooresville we really like going to Three Goats Coffee. It's in a new HT shopping center on 150 but has a comfortable, lived-in coffee shop feel. Really good coffee and good service, too. I think it's locally owned.

Unknown said...

Amy,

This is Tim Ross with Charlotte Talks on WFAE. Your instincts are correct. The Caribou Coffee on East Blvd. is a great hangout. The coffee is not burned and there is a wonderful lack of corporate feel. Plus the internet is free! See you there.

Amy Baldwin said...

Tim,

Yes, WiFi at Caribou is a great thing. I forgot to mention that Julia's also has WiFi. Thanks for reading.

Amy

Anonymous said...

The Caribou Coffee on East Blvd. is a great hangout. The coffee is not burned and there is a wonderful lack of corporate feel....in spite of the fact that Caribou is a publicly traded company with almost 500 locations and annual revenue exceeding $230 million. The important thing is that it doesn't "feel" corporate.

Unknown User said...

Does The Summit in Davidson, NC have free WiFi? Anyone know?