Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Enjoy Charlotte without paying a Mint


In a recent column, I wrote about a free history lecture at the Duke Museum. A reader called me and said that she'd like to read about more freebie things to do. So I thought I'd share a few from time to time, starting now.

Last night, I went to the Mint Museum to see the Andy Warhol exhibit. On Tuesday nights from 5-9, admission is free. I'd been reminded that I wanted to see the show when out there last week to talk to folks out there about the vote-for-art effort going on. For more on that see, my Nov. 5 blog entry.



The Warhol exhibit features fabulous screen prints -- from the popular Myths series (i.e. Superman, Mickey Mouse and Uncle Sam) and Ten Portraits of Jews of the Twentieth Century (i.e. Albert Einstein, Sarah Bernhardt and Sigmund Freud) to lesser-known stills of fruit and a sunset series. Oh, and you can see one of his Campbell's Soup Cans -- Cream of Mushroom -- too.

For more info on the Mint, click here. For a story about Charlotte's visual arts scene, which ran in Living Here magazine, click here.

What's your favorite free thing to do in Charlotte? Post your ideas here and I'll occasionally share mine as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I d like to make a proposal to start build a Inside plant nursey much like the Daniel stowe botanical garden where EASTLAND mall once stood I would like a three story with exotic plants from all over the world living in a glass house. I would like to propose a Professional Baseball stadium where EASTLAND MALL now stand. What a great place to improve security and see a Pro baseball team under the great nights of summer and fall. I would like to propose a HORSETRACK complete with three tier penthouse ad clubhouse and general affair on the ground floor like SCIOTO DOWNS near Gold MINE road. This is the kind of Fun YANKEES like and Southerns will learn to like.

Anonymous said...

This Yankee will be your next MAYOR and we are all moving foward with these idea's.


Sign here;

Anonymous said...

Dear Southerner
We do love you and we do want to help make an economy here so that you do good here.
signed Yankee from Ohio

Anonymous said...

www.gobacktoohio.com