Monday, November 24, 2008

Your Thanksgiving memories

In my column Sunday about cooking Thanksgiving dinner in Paris, I asked readers to submit their own holiday memories. And I promised to post those on my blog.

Here's what two of you had to say. If you want to share your holiday stories, post them here or email them to me.

From Deb Soto in Denver, N.C.:
"My first Thanksgiving living in Tokyo, Japan was a fun-filled party I hosted at our home. Four American servicemen, who signed up through the USO, came from Yokohama by train. My husband's Japanese work colleagues arrived wide-eyed having never seen a turkey before. New friends from the Tokyo American Club and The American School in Japan arrived happily anticipating Thanksgiving comfort food. My husband, Rick, was on our terrace proudly showing off the bird (procured from an International market at a huge cost) as it roasted on our Weber grill. Our oven was tiny, but it could accommodate the pumpkin pies and green bean casserole (in stages, of course!). ... The oohhs and aahhs exclaimed from both East and West cultures as the grilled turkey was carved made this event even more delightful and memorable."

From Sherry Mullis in Morresville:
"Our most special Thanksgiving was in 1989. Our daughter Ashley was expecting her first child. We had asked her and her husband John to not go to the Thanksgiving parade in Charlotte because the baby was due very soon. Of course, they went anyway. Later that afternoon at my sister's home while we were setting the table, Ashley and John kept leaving the room and finally just before dinner was served they announced that the baby was on the way!!! John Winston Ladd was born early the next morning 19 years ago and that day continues to be our favorite Thanksgiving ever. Four years later at exactly 12:05 a.m. on January 1, 1994 his precious sister Dallas Nicole Ladd arrived as the first baby in Mecklenburg County. Needless to say we never forget their birthdays."

0 comments: