Friday, April 11, 2008

Excuse me, what's your name?

I'm loosely defining a newcomer as someone who has lived in the Charlotte area two years or less.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t talk if you have been here three years or 30 years.

By that two-year standard, I’m an old-timer. In fact, some people joke if you’ve lived here five years - and come November I will have - you are a native. On the other hand, some natives feel like newbies because of all the changes Charlotte has gone through - i.e. condos and restaurants and cultural venues uptown and light rail, to name a few.

Still, I don’t feel completely settled in Charlotte. Sure, I’ve figured out the various Queens roads, but still rely heavily on Mapquest for getting around. And I have a hairstylist I love, but finding her took four years.
I can tell you what made me start to feel less new to town: when my husband and I bought our house, making Charlotte the first and only city we’ve owned a home. That was in our first year here.

Then, in our second year, we adopted our dog, Loretta Lynn - talk about a great way to get to know your neighbors. Last summer, the four of us - oh, yeah, we had a baby too - went on nightly walks around our ‘hood. We met a woman with a baby bulldog and a talked a lot with a young couple whose dog looks like Fozzie Bear. We checked in on our favorite two standard poodles. We waved to people we didn’t know and to others we knew only by the names of their pets or kids. And Charlotte began to feel even more like home.

Got a settling in story to share? Please do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlotte scares me ! I had owned a house in Hilliard, Ohio for thirteen years and was the first house on the block there. Hilliard was a 'diamond in the rough' and was our first home that we intended to retire in and pay off. When I came to Charlotte It felt very different here ,like maybe I should have tried to stay in Ohio or tried Atlanta. Just like a pair of shoes that didnt match the personality I am. Im starting AFSCME Unions here and helped with the Lottery three years ago. Everything that we had in Columbus is just not wanted here. Sometimes I think old Queen Charlotte put a curse on this . I firast moved to Ballantyne and think its lovely there but I am a middle class Person and the real middle class neighborhood doesnt exsist like it did here; Twenty five years ago my wifes Father and Mother lived here and this town was a 'Diamond in the rough' and still is. When they finish the outerbelt get a fulltime Government here and let the AFSCME Government in to re-create the middle class things will get better. Amy its the slow circulation of money thats killing Charlotte. Off my soapbox thank you for your ear. If this dont work out I know Alabama has four cars plants now and that area is getting progressive. Alabama and Missisippi is keeping an open mind about jobs.

Anonymous said...

Charlotte is the only city where you can line up twenty People and most will not be from here or the South. On the other hand, other cities that I know have more People that were born in that culture. I d believe that People should try to seek out their Culture first and then kee an open mind about People and empathize with their situation". Yankees try on a pair of Southern shoes for a change. look through their glasses instead of our own. Try a great Barbeque sandwich at Bridges in Shelby, NC . A new place called 'NICK and Jims' is coming from ALABAMA and just built a new place in the STEELE CREEK area. Sticky fingers barbeque is off of Park raod and is from Charleston, SC. Try a piece of Southern Pecan pie from sticky fingers.