Monday, April 7, 2008

Sew cool

If you like to sew, here's a place you need to know about: Mary Jo's Cloth Store in Gastonia.

I went there Saturday with my mom, who was visiting from Ohio. She was teaching me to sew, because it was raining and we couldn't do my outdoor plans.

Anyhow, we took a break from the sewing lessons to check out Mary Jo's, a Gaston Mall fixture for 22 years and fabric central for budding and experienced seamstresses. Mom wanted a certain material for her next sewing project and hadn't been able to find it anywhere. I told her from what I'd heard about Mary Jo's -- a warehouse of all kinds of fabric -- she'd find it there. And she did.

Mary Jo's draws customers from across the country. According to a 1998 Southern Living article on the shop's Web site, customers have included Dolly Parton's seamstress and Disney costume makers.

Now that Mom is back in Ohio, I'm looking for sewing help. If you know a good sewing class or sewing group, let me know about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sewing Arts Studio on 51 is great.

www.sewingartsstudio.com

Anonymous said...

If you are fine with going to Gastonia, "Sew Much Fun" is just down the road from Mary Jo's, in Franklin Square. My Mom has been taking sewing classes there for the past 2+ years and loves it!

Anonymous said...

Amy Im so glad that your Mom came to visit you from OHIO; As you know Im from Columbus and I wish my Mommy could see Charlotte and the Ocean and Mountains but she is now 83 and those days are over. Im glad you and your mom get along and my Mother taught me to sew also. I was interested in making dog fashion wear for dogs before it became popular.