Monday, March 3, 2008

Leaving Las Vegas

I got an email from a prospective newcomer seeking advice on finding work here. Maybe you can help. Here's what Gina, 50, had to say.

"My husband Bill and I hope to relocate to the Charlotte area in the very near future. I am planning a visit in April (20th thru 27th) and will be looking at the area in hopes of finding exactly what we are looking for. Currently we live in Las Vegas. We have lived here over 30 years and are really ready for a change. Luckily my sister lives in Matthews and loves it and thinks we will too.

I need some advice on how and where to look for jobs. Our problem is that we have worked in the gaming industry for many years, in particular the race and sports books. Not exactly a job available anywhere else but here, although I have an office job and my husband works with the public. Searching through CareerBuilder.com, HotJobs, etc. doesn't quite have jobs we qualify for. What we need is a local source, Web site, or some other way of finding employment. Do you have any suggestions that I can explore while I'm there? The sooner we can find employment, the sooner we can leave Las Vegas."

Here's my advice, Gina:

Check out Central Piedmont Community College. It offers classes on changing careers and individual career counseling services. There's a two-day, six-hour small-group course called "Next Career Exploration" as well as a "Job Seeking Skills Class."

For more info or to learn about other offerings, go to www.cpcc.edu. Go to the left-hand pull-down menu and select Community & News and then go to Career Services or Continuing Education.

And, of course, talk to your sister. Maybe she has some job-hunting tips or connections.

Anyone else have advice for Gina? Post it here. Thanks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just moved from Las Vegas also. Get ready for the best shock of your life. I have never met so many nice people. I mean really nice people. People who will hold the door for you, people who will say hi to you, and people who honestly will talk to you about anything. I spent 12 years in Las Vegas after moving from California, and I wish I made the move sooner. I am also looking for places to live but the decision to move out here is the best that you can think of. It is just a little too quiet out here after dealing with the Las Vegas Strip for so long but it is so nice. i need some help also with finding great places to move. Keep in touch

Anonymous said...

Find companies you want to work for and call them

Anonymous said...

We made the move here about 2 years ago. Neither of us had a problem finding a job. As a matter of fact I was inundated in the financial field.

You probably dont have young children, but for those of you who do... I made a HUGE mistake moving to the Charlotte/Mecklenburg Co. school district. They are horrible and have many many problems. My children were in middle school and had 4 different math (ALGEBRA) teachers within one year along with tons of substitutes. Some teachers would show up for one day and quit!!
We moved again in about 18 months to Cabarrus Co. just for the schools. So far, its been great!

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone want to move from California (especially to here?). California is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I would highly recommend contacting one (or more) of the local temporary agencies to find work. While they may not provide a perfect long term solution - they do a fairly good job of keeping people employed and on a payroll somewhere. The bank I work for has hired several "temps" that eventually became full time employees. A quick google search pulled up 10 temp agencies not including the two I'm familiar with - Adecco and Corestaff.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply here with great information for me to consider. Looking forward to my vacation there in April. I'll be taking a lot of notes, pictures, and video to show my husband the wonderful place you all call home. Vegas is just too big and crowded now and after 33 years, its time to go. By the way, anyone hiring?? Gina

Anonymous said...

HI Gina,
My name is Camille Re and I will be flying into Vegas on the 14th of May. I want to invite you and your husband to see our Company.
Market America is the name and it is a Multi Million Dollar Marketing company that is expanding in Vegas, but you can relocate in any state.
Market America is a product brokerage and Internet marketing company that specializes in One-to-One Marketing. With more than three million customers and over 160,000 Distributors worldwide, Market America has generated over $2.4 billion in accumulated retail sales. Headquartered in Greensboro, North Carolina — the Company employs more than 500 people globally with international operations in the United States, Canada, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Australia.
You are invited to come to our Professional Business Introduction at the Pacific Asian Plaza on 5115 Spring Mountain Rd. Las Vegas 89146
At 7:00 pm- 8:30 PM
You may reach me at my home at 973-948-0036 or my cell at 862-812-0639.
If you would like to come, please contact me. If you decide to come last min. just put my name down for the person who invited you. This way I can find you and introduce myself to you.
The guest speaker is Don Martin and I will be flying in with him.
Please note that this is not a multi level marketing company or a pyramid. We will not be asking for any money or sign-ups. This is for information only.
Please feel free to call anytime with any questions.
Thank you,
Camille Re