Sunday, March 2, 2008

Big weekend

What have you been up to this weekend? Try any new restaurants or go anyplace you'd never been before?

I did. This is notable, because I can be quite the creature of habit.

On Friday night, my husband and I celebrated his birthday at Nikko on South Boulevard. I hadn't been to the sushi restaurant in several years. Late last year, Nikko moved just a smidge up the street, inside The Arlington condo tower (a.k.a. The Pink Building).

We enjoyed the yummy sushi and the yummy scene -- sleek modern interior design, young professionals and families eating pretty food and sipping pretty martinis and techno-ish sounding music that made me think of a bar in Barcelona.

Last night, I caught the opening of the fourth annual Charlotte Jewish Film Festival at the Ballantyne Village Theatre with my pal Kerry. We saw "What a Wonderful Place," an Israeli film that reminded us of "Traffic" -- only with the cargo being humans, not drugs. The film made me think and also appreciate that such a fest exists in Charlotte.

It was nice to go out and see a small film, especially when art house theaters are becoming more mainstream. I thought of this earlier today when driving past The Regal Manor Twin (used to just be the Manor -- so see what I mean?) and noticed that "Juno" is still playing. Everybody's favorite Oscar nominee was a sweet enough film -- but come on already. It's been what, three months? Is there anyone left in Charlotte who wants to see it who hasn't?

So, that's what I've been up to. What about you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to COTSWALD and went to MARSHALLS ; they are giving stuff away and I didnt have to shoplift at all; I also went to OLD TYME pottery and you sould see the load of wonderful glazed pooetry they just got in ever color imaginable. Sales , sales , sale going on everywhere .

Anonymous said...

Okay the BRIO in NEXT TO sOUTHPARK MALL IS FROM COLUMBUS, Ohio and is very ROMANTIC and thefood is pretty good. The wonderful bar has a jazz singer and live trio thats really great music. I love that type of jazz.

Anonymous said...

Another great bar of high class is Del FRISCOs ; All important People go there Amy and its a real class place with a ROMANTIC candlelight bar downstairs. Couchs downstair and lounge chairs look like something out of California.

Anonymous said...

People in Charlotte are so dumb. Oh my God...

Anonymous said...

The original Pancake House was actually in Factory South, the same building Nikko used to be in. The space they moved into was previously empty.

Amy Baldwin said...

To the previous poster: Thanks for that catch! I am going to correct my posting now.