Monday, October 27, 2008

GR8PL8S! Got one?

In today's paper, I have a story on vanity license plates. YAY4ME!, right?

With just eight characters -- people cleverly use letters and numbers -- to work with, more than 9 million U.S. drivers are telling their stories, sharing their hopes, dreams, hobbies and philosophies. Click here to read it.

Anyhow, I asked readers to let me know about their vanity plates and promised to post them here. But first, I want to include others I noticed while reporting this story that didn't make it into print or that friends and coworkers told me they'd seen. Here they are:

Parked at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport: BADCADDY on a Black Escalade; JAZZZZZZ on a Lincoln MKX; TECHGOLD on an Audi A4; SOMETIME on a Honda Element and ASPEN on a Honda Accura.

On Park Road one Saturday evening: 2SLOW4U on a Nissan240SX.

On a Corvette parked at Carson and Tryon on Sunday of Panthers' first home game: NDIRISH.

Parked at a South End/Dilworth residence: OHBAMA!

On a Toyota Camry parked at the Westin: LIVWPASN.

Now for reader responses:

From Karen Branan:
"We have 3 in our family. My daughter's is "GONCNTRY" (Gone Country, i.e., the Alan Jackson song), my husband's is simply "FISHIN" and mine is "OH2BBOTN" (Oh, to be boating). Prior ones I have owned are, "ALMYCHRN" (All My Children - both kids and soap opera) and GOOD2CYA"

From John Tomasulo of Indian Trail: "As a 65-year-old retiree, new to this area, my wife and I enjoy getting into our car and exploring our new state and taking trips to Tennessee, Virginia and Maryland to visit family. The plate on my Honda Accord Coupe reads: STLCRUZN."

From Alex Miller of Denver, N.C.: "My plate CONE6OX reflects my hobby as a potter. CONE6 is the temperature (2232'f) I fire my pots to and OX is the atmosphere, Oxidation. It takes another potter to understand."

From Howard Freese of Charlotte: " For about fifteen years, I have been sporting SAN SU C and occasionally I get a honk. Usually, they know the French language. 'SAN SU C' is phonetic for 'Sans Souci,' which just happens to be the song of (my) alma mater Columbia College/University of New York. ... 'Sans souci' is loosely translated as 'without care' or 'carefree.' ... I suspect that not many who figure out the meaning of 'SAN SU C' know that there is an association with Columbia."

From David Guitano: "It's GODSHEMI. I am a Christian and believe all we have ultimately belongs to God. I have a Chrysler 300C with the Hemi engine -- hence, GODSHEMI."

From Larry Sulzer: "My wife Patty shares my love of fishing, so her license is FSHNHOTE.
She is my Fishing Hottie."

From Larry Proper via voicemail: 2KDS OUT on a '92 red Porsche convertible. He had to get two kids out of college before buying his wheels.

From Tracey: "After reading your article, I had to send you this one. My husband has a Mazda Miata - and his SC plate says B-FISHN, so its Miata B-Fishin."

Got a funny or clever plate to share? Post it here. Thanks!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was forever late to class when I was in high school, so my mom got me the plate "ME?L8?" for my 17th birthday.

Now my plate says "DIBS", mostly because "MINE" was already taken.

Anonymous said...

Just a few of the plates I've had in the past:

RISING (on a red Geo Storm... think about it)
IAMNOTA#
ABUVITAL

A plate I think would be funny:

2B+!2B=?

You have to understand Boolean/programmer notation to get this one, but even an English major should have enough clues to make a guess.

Amy Baldwin said...

Another fun plate: MTNSCAR. The Bowling Green State pop culture prof (a.k.a. DR FLYER) I talked to for the story said this is her favorite vanity plate. She saw it on a sports car driven by the head of another department -- someone apparently proud to be an "empty nester." --Amy

Anonymous said...

I saw one that says
IFLYACRJ

The driver was wearing a pilot's uniform heading in the direction of the airport on I-485

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy Baldwin said...

This just sweet e-mail in from Donna, mom to Olivia, 3.

"Hi Amy! I enjoyed your column today. I love vanity plates and just recently got one myself. I totally think it makes for good conversation with a friend, passes the time in this cotton pickin Charlotte traffic and just makes you work your brain. Some are so clever.
I have a little girl, 3 years old, and her name is Olivia. And gosh, DO I LUV HER!!!, so my plate says
LUVMYLIV. Obviously strangers do not know I have a daughter named Olivia, so I always wonder if they are trying to figure it out and come up with 'LUV MY LIFE.' Either way, they'd be right. I luv my life, because I LUVMYLIV."

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I saw a license plate once on the back of an SUV that obviously belonged to a parent - PPB4WEGO.

Anonymous said...

I am a long time runner and triathlete. My plate? "RUN FAR"

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

GOBK2OH

Anonymous said...

The day after watching Inconvenient Truth, we bought a Prius. Our license plate reads "@MOSFEAR".

Anonymous said...

Heres my YANKEE plate " WE1theWAR"


HAHAHAHAHhahaha Hail to Uliyses Grant

Anonymous said...

Yankee Plate "firemaker"

Anonymous said...

YANKEE PLATE "barntorch"

Anonymous said...

YANKEE plate "GENECIDE"

Anonymous said...

Yankee Plate " 4nakate"