Monday, October 6, 2008

What do you think of I-485?

In yesterday's column on why I hate Interstate 485 and how I rarely know what the signs mean, I asked readers to share their thoughts. And did they. So far I have recieved about two dozen emails and phone calls. Some people empathized and others think I'm -- um -- directionally challenged (no doubt!). Some shared tips. I promised to post some to my blog, so here you go:

"The best way to tell location on the 485 beltline is to refer to the 'inner' or 'outer' and use the mile markers. I am the owner of Ace Towing & Recovery, Inc. here in Charlotte. In the beginning when 485 first opened we had a tough time finding the cars that were broken down. Tryon Street crosses 485 at S. Tryon and N. Tryon. I-85 crosses twice also. We ask people if they are on the inner or outer beltline and where they are coming from. We also try to find out the last exit they remember passing or mile marker. This has eliminated the location problems. Enjoyed your article." -- Michael Melandro

"In your attempt to navigate I-485, you made two -- no, make that three -- mistakes. Your first mistake was using MapQuest. Forget MapQuest ever existed. ...Your second mistake was forgetting that I-485 is a subsection of I-85, and that odd-numbered interstates travel North/South, and even-numbered interstates travel East/West. If you remember that N I-85 will take to almost to Richmond, Va., and S I-85 will take you to Montgomery, Ala., the N/S designation makes more sense. Your third mistake -- or, really, perhaps your first -- is living in a part of Charlotte that requires you to ever get on I-485 in the first place." -- Jonathan Webber
(Blogger's Note: I live inside 485, so I rarely use it. I was travelling between two assignments.)

"I was born and raised in Charlotte and I-485 makes no more sense to me than it does to you! I totally agree that the North, South, East, West, Inner, Outer directions are confusing and often pointless. I suggest that 'Counterclockwise.' Everyone knows what that means! They could easily be abbreviated to CW and CCW. A visual aid would be easy too: a dot representing the city with a ring around it representing the loop. A you-are-here arrow pointing the direction one is traveling (CW or CCW) lets the driver know if s/he is heading towards 5:00 or towards 11:00. For now, I ignore those useless signs and try to picture the whole thing as a clock. Uptown is the center of the clock. Mint Hill is about 3:00. Matthews is 4:00, Pineville is 7:00...Huntersville is 12:00... I'll bet if I told you to take I-485 CCW from Pineville to Mint Hill you'd know just what to do! Good luck navigating the loop!" -- Julie Gilland-Hubbard

"Well, East and North are the same and West and South are one. I never look at the words outer loop or inner loop. I just look at where it leads to." -- Unsigned

"I was elated to read your article on I-485. As one who lives in the mountains and uses the road to bypass Charlotte, I have been extremely confused on more than on occasion. When coming North on 77 and just trying to get to 85, the signs are no help. The Goode Freeway (is there a Bad?), Martin, Inner, Outer…..help! I just want to get to 85! Thanks for the observations. I was dying to tell somebody, and you did it for me. Now do you think anyone will do something about it?" -- Mark Van Arnam, Boone

"I'm pretty new to the Charlotte area and also found 485 to be somewhat confusing. The only thing I know is that Route 51 ( I'm not sure of the exit # but I know it's either before or after South Blvd depending on the direction your going ) is where the East/West turns into North/South. So as far as 485 is concerned if I'm going east I'm also going north and vice versa. I pay no attention to the inner/outer nonsense. I don't know if clears anything up for you or not, I just thought I'd throw it out there." -- Myk Altritt

"I totally agree with your confusion about N, S, E, or W signs on I-485. Directional signs not only make no sense on a beltway, they actually obscure which way to go. My choice would be 'clockwise' or 'counterclockwise,' but I believe that would never pass government muster since the average driver would understand it instantly. Failing that, consistent use of 'inner' and 'outer' would be the next best thing, I believe." -- Bill Jones, Hickory


"I have a novel idea for you. Get yourself a map of Charlotte and a compass. Spread out the map on your kitchen table and study it for an hour, concentrating on 485. Then take the compass with you in the car. Voila. Problem solved!" -- Mike Petrie

"I don't have a trick for 485 as is, but I sure would be helped by something that could be added to the signs: a simple word or diagram that indicated clockwise or counterclockwise. Wouldn't that pretty much take care of it? Those directions don't change as you go around. Either you're going around the city one way or the other." -- Brad Bostian

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are people really having this much trouble with 485. It is a freaking circle (or at least will be) how hard is it?

Anonymous said...

www.gobacktoohio.com

Anonymous said...

For those having trouble with inner vs. outer: Inner = Clockwise and Outer = Counter Clockwise. I agree with Mike Petrie about using a map - it is a skill that too many people don't possess. Other than that, buy a GPS unit and program it to avoid interstates like I-485. That will be one less car in my way.

Anonymous said...

GPS systems are Wonderful! I use it all the time. Even if I miss an exit, it updates itself and takes me where I intended to go in the first place.

I am from Michigan. If I can drive in Michigan with 75, 94, 96, I should be able to drive in Charlotte. Unfortunately, you have little time to merge, or you have to deal with someone in front of you who has NO IDEA how to merge. Also, you also get those drivers who think "I'm not letting you in, I WAS HERE FIRST." Selfishness. In order to drive in this city, EVERYONE needs to be calm and polite. Perhaps that would take have the road rage off our over crowded highways. Unfortunately, they just might miss that 30 seconds on the news that they have been reading on the net all day at work! Ridiculous. I try not to drive unless I need to. Not just because of gasoline costs, but because I don't need the aggrevation. The best time to do chores is 8:45 AM. All you bank/uptown workers are no where close to where I shop and have my monthly doctor visits!

Anonymous said...

AMY face it Charlotte was and still is a HICK town; Thats why all the banks are moving out and back to NEW YORK and elsewhere; Look you can where a suit and te here but its still GREEN ACRES and Mayberry RFD ; Jerry Springer does his best shows out of here and HEE HAW was produced in downtown. All these People running this town are ametuers.

Anonymous said...

LOOK you little Bastard from OHIO ! This is Gary Pruitt from McClatchey headqaurters and we take offense at all this; How do you expect us to sell newspapers with all your rants and raving ,you ass. Im going to see you dont get a Newspaper and then what ? You wont know who won the Panthers game 'Yankee boy' LOOK ! froshmen newcomer Ill fill your tank up and your car around and head for the BIG FREEZER OHIO got it!

Anonymous said...

The OHIO PRAYER

When I hear my funeral Bell
Please dont let me roast in HELL
Because I joke and then I tease
Please God dont let me freeze
So when I die yippy ty yo
just dont bury me in OHIO
GOOD NIGHT folks

Unknown said...

Have to say, I don't have an innate sense of direction so over the years I've gotten pretty handy with a compass and map...and I still get hopelessly lost on I-485. The North/South thing is what throws me off the most--and none of the Charlotte maps that I posses have enough streets labeled along the way...by the time I figure out I'm going the wrong way, I'm already half an hour (or more) late!