Friday, October 10, 2008

This place is for the birds. Seriously.

Yesterday I interviewed the new president and CEO of the Carolina Raptor Center in Huntersville. Check out my profile of newcomer Joy Braunstein, who moved here in late August from Pittsburgh, later this month in the Observer. I'll put a post up here to remind you.

I took Lucy with me to check out the injured and rehabilitated birds of prey. Lately my toddler is pointing out every bird she sees. The eagles, owls and falcons delighted her.

If you've never been, you should go. There is a walking trail of birds and rehab center. And there are staffers trained to hold the birds on their arms. Click the link above for more info on the center and it's 20+-year history.

Later this month the center is also hosting an event called "Halloween Hoot 'N Howl." It's Oct. 25 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. There will be live raptor presentations, hay rides, pumpkin painting, cooking decorating and more.

After our Raptor Center visit, Lucy and I grabbed dinner someplace I have long been meaning to go to while in Huntersville: Friendly's. Growing up in Ohio, where the ice cream and diner-style food chain has a distribution center and lots of restaurants, I went there a lot. The chain started in Massachusetts and is popular in the Northeast too. Our waitress was from New York and appreciated my appreciation for this being the only location in Charlotte. The next nearest Friendly's is 110 miles away in Lumberton.

So, yesterday, since we were up there and I am pregnant and was having a craving for the Fishamajig sandwich -- an original menu item -- Lucy and I went. And I am happy to report the Fishamajig and ice cream were as yummy as I remembered.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

www.gobacktoohio.com

Anonymous said...

The Raptor Center is one of our unique treasures. I don't care where you're from, you probably didn't have a place like that. Perfect place to take kids.

Anonymous said...

www.wewonthewar.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, Amy managed to work references Ohio, Massachusetts, and New York into this post. What a hack.